Monday, May 5, 2008

Winona Lake Recap

More results for Get A Grip!

Saturday Road Race

Men’s ¾ - 4th
A break of two got away and Aspen continued to work hard through the gusty winds and dropping temperatures while the field slowly dwindled to about 7 people. Some quick legs got him second in the "field sprint" for a 4th place finish overall. Well done!

Women’s Open - 1st and 3rd
The first half of the first lap crawled along behind the juniors’ race. Some strict yellow line rules and gusty winds made it tough to break up the group. After a quick team chat we (Devon and Lindsay) decided it was time to split. We jumped and started to put a gap on the field. Tracy from Texas Roadhouse came with us and the field strung out as some others tried to catch up. Devon gave me a little extra help but eventually we got the break to stick solid and start putting time on the field. Just before the start/finish line going into the last lap Devon flatted but the race had to go on. Tracy and I continued to work together…meanwhile, Devon managed to not only find a random spare wheel, and have it pumped up, but also rework her way back through the patchy field and rejoin us just before the finish. I attacked. Texas Roadhouse pulled it back and kept firing to drop me. Devon executed the finish perfectly and came around her for the win at the line! Awesome and fun race (it’s great to have such strong teammates ;)

Sunday Crit
Women’s Open - 2nd
A few things went off the front early on but nothing was really sticking until Texas Roadhouse went. Since I was poorly positioned when she went and didn't grab a wheel I decided to wait since it was still early in the race. Then, the bell rang for a prime and I found myself in good position to take it, so I decided to make use of the sprint for the prize. The effort put a sizable gap between myself and the field so I kept going on up to the leader. After a lap or two we were joined by another strong rider (a fellow triathlete!) and the three of us got a great rotation going and managed to lap the field in the last lap. I positioned myself well for the sprint but then misshifted, so just barely missed the wheel of the TR woman, and fell a little short at the line giving me 2nd, and a prime for the day. Great weekend!


Great results because Jon was with us in spirit.

No comments: